Missy has strong opinions about how to improve Beloit’s schools.
On the Importance of Public Schools
I believe that public schools are an important part of any community. Schools are a factor in both attracting people to a community and in keeping them here. Beloit has recently seen a renewal in many areas, like the Riverfront, our summer concerts, Riverfest, the Beloit International Film Festival, and new industries, like the Staples distribution center, the Kettle Foods plant, and the new headquarters for Kerry America. These are things that bring people to Beloit. I want the schools to be part of the attraction.
Missy’s Position on Issues
I believe the Beloit School Board should:
- Promote quality schools to bring people to Beloit and to keep them here.
- Hire a strong, well-respected Superintendent who actively promotes our schools.
- Set good policies and ensure that our school administrators carry them out. No more, no less.
- Examine our entire school system and work to promote our areas of strength and strengthen our areas of weakness.
- Work with our business community and neighboring school systems to build more successful collaborative efforts like our vocational education program.
- Find an equitable way to fund our schools and to make responsible budget cuts where necessary.